Professional Trainer Program
Professional Dog Training Workshops, running Monday through Friday for 8 weeks.
Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri: 9 am to 2:30 pm
Thurs evenings: 6 to 8 pm
West Coast Canine Academy is offering a series of week-long workshops for anyone wanting to learn how to train dogs, whether you are a first time dog owner or a well established professional with a career as a dog trainer. The different elements of dog training have been divided up into a series of week-long workshops, each one focusing on a different aspect of dog training.
This is not your average dog obedience training course, rather, it is a unique and effective program that focuses on positive training for life in the real world. Our training methods use positive training techniques based on classical, operant, high reinforcement conditioning and BAT systems for behavioural modification.
A hands-on course where students handle 40 dogs or more per week , plus train their own dogs.
Added education of becoming a professional dog walker, learn the necessary skills to control all your dogs on a walk .
Learn how to teach all basic classes for obedience and better still, become a great dog handler that can work with any dog .
Learn how to rehabilitate reactive dogs that are aggressive towards people or dogs, off or on leash.
Experience how to keep safe while handling fearful dogs and teach them to trust .
Students also receive ongoing support after the course and are welcome to work with us and train dogs.
The cost for each workshop is $700, tax included.
“The West Coast Canine Academy’s Professional Trainers Program is the best training course I have been on! It consists of classroom style teaching as well as hands on learning with lots of different dogs. Julie gave us the opportunity to help coach one of her puppy classes over the six weeks which gives you a great deal of confidence in talking to new people about the techniques you are learning. Julie and Dorothy’s knowledge of dogs is unprecedented and I am confident to share this same knowledge with my clients, knowing that I am giving good, sound advice. ” — Rebecca Squires
"Such an amazing course—it not only provided me with the education and skills to become a dog trainer it also challenged me to grow as a person and has improved my relationship with my dog . A positive, amazing experience!" — Pam Fleming
Instructors are amazing. I highly recommend this course , very friendly and well-organized teachers. I feel confident I have enough knowledge and training to be a dog trainer. Loved it! — Rachelle Parent
Workshop 1: Selecting and raising a healthy puppy
This workshop is perfect for anyone in the dog business and for individuals wanting to raise a puppy.
- Puppy temperament testing (theory and practical)
- Selecting a breeder (how to find a breeder that is right for you)
- Selecting the right breed for your lifestyle
- Puppy’s first week at home
- Puppies and kids (do’s and don’t’s)
- Socializing your puppy
- Dangers for pups
- Crate training
- Potty training
- Good manners (jumping, biting, etc.)
- Separation anxiety, how to avoid it
- Basic puppy obedience
- Dietary options
- Choosing a veterinarian
Workshop 2: Leash walking
This is often the #1 problem for most dog owners! Who is walking whom? In this workshop you will learn how to teach a dog to walk calmly on a loose leash in any situation. We will be learning to train dogs aged 12 weeks and up. This workshop will be full of hands on practical experience.
- Puppy leash walking games
- Leash walking 6 months and up
- Building value to focus on the handler (the dog will choose to ignore outside distractions)
- Greeting other dogs with good social etiquette, on a loose leash (loaded with practical experience)
- Reinforcement zones (rewarding correct choices)
- Formal healing (CKC)
Workshop 3: Basic sit/down stay, impulse control,
and advanced distraction work
This workshop is a must for all dog trainers, owners and handlers. It will include potential life saving skills (bolting from your front door, your car, across the street etc.)
- Crate games
- impulse control games
- Basics of the sit command
- Teaching the sit/stay
- Sit/stay with distractions (3 levels)
- Basics of the down command
- Teaching the down/stay
- Down/stay with distractions (3 levels)
- Down/stay, the ultimate distractions (other dogs, bunnies, deer!)
Workshop 4: Recall
Develop a willing, joyful, reliable recall.
- Puppy/novice recall games
- Long line work (teaching dog to stay close to the handler on the trail)
- Common handler errors that weaken your recall
- Recall with distractions: Building blocks for success.
- Dog distractions: the ultimate recall!
Workshop 5: Commands on the move —
Going above and beyond; the ultimate partnership
Learn to develop your dog’s ability to switch from one behaviour to another while in motion. Prerequisite: Workshops 2, 3 and 4.
- Down from a distance
- Down while in motion
- Down in flight (running away from handler)
- Down in recall
- All of above in a group of dogs
- All of above with distractions
- Walking wait (handler keeps moving)
- Walking down
- Walking stand
- Walking sit
- Down to sit at distance
Workshop 6: Training the Trainers
Learn the skills needed to be an effective dog trainer. In this workshop you will learn how to effectively teach clients to train their dogs.
Prerequisite: Workshops 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Learning to pass on the skills learned in previous workshops
One on one with clients
Hands on working with clients and gaining confidence teaching others
Hands on working with different dogs
Marketing and growing your client base
Communication styles/people skills
Lesson plans/class management
Teaching styles and learning styles
Workshop 7: Introduction to Reactive Behaviours
In this workshop we will introduce you to the different types of reactivity that occur in dogs. We will learn to recognize these types of reactivity, understand their causes (both genetic and environmental), how and when to help, and when to decide to seek more experienced, professional help. We will look at ways of helping reactive dogs using the method of Counter Conditioning. Prerequisite: Workshops 2, 3, and 4.
- Resource guarding
- Reactive to people
- Reactive to dogs
- Fear based aggression
- Reactive behaviour on leash
- Fear of children
- Fear of men and/or women
- Understanding the rescue dog
- Reading body language and dog behaviour